Graduation #1

mixed feelings behind that smile
Soon after I came back from Italy, I dedicated my time completely for my bachelor thesis. There wasn’t any other wish but obtaining my degree. I set up my plan to start working in August 2016 and do the defense in February 2017 so I can graduate in May 2017.

After discussing the topic with my supervisor, we both agreed to do research in deep learning in speech recognition. Speech recognition (ASR) was new to me. Although I’d learnt a few things about spoken language technology in Trento, I didn’t learn ASR in detail. So, I needed more time to fully understand the concept before declaring my research statement. I worked on the case of speech impairment, dysarthria, so I’d gotta learn a bit basic linguistics, the impairment itself, and the differences between people with and without dysarthria. And the method I used, deep learning, was actually a recently effective method used in many classification tasks. Hard to understand the concept but easy to build with tool (and tutorial). But, come on, I didn’t want my thesis looked as crap so of course I didn’t just follow some tutorials on internet and make a shallow report. I also tried to analyze the method I used.

When I presented my research proposal in front of some professors in October 2016, I was quite satisfied with the responses they gave over my topic. I felt the excitement of starting the thing I thought I was interested in. However, the excitement dropped to lower level as the time went by and I found out my work wasn’t that simple. I didn’t discuss my problem with my professor regularly because she seemed like quite busy and she wasn’t actually expertise in speech recognition, so most of the time I tried to find the solution on my own. I would have been more stressed out if I hadn’t had my friends around me, who were also facing their own thesis problems. I felt much more relaxed after sharing my thought and it was also nice to listen to others’. I’d been in the condition of being stressed out of doing college project alone so I always cherish moments when I can help my friends releasing their thought and feel grateful when they also do the same to me.

Everything was running quite well until late January and I was confidence I could finish it on time. However, I doubted my result because it was too good to be true. Then I found out there was a method I used incorrectly and after I resolved it, the result fell to the worst level. I was shocked and moped. The other struggle I faced was program was too heavy to be run on my laptop so I had to use either lab’s PC or Rifqi’s. So I couldn’t use it freely and during the weekends, while I needed to run many experiments to increase my result.

It was February and I almost gave up on graduation in May. My result was still bad. My father started asking about my thesis progress. My mother did too. I didn’t know whether their question encouraged or discouraged me. One day, I made a change on a thing on the method I used, and surprisingly the result seemed to go “more normal”, not high but not too bad either. I couldn’t be happier. I still had 2 weeks before the submission deadline in March. After asking my parents to pray for me (although I know they always do) and for approval from my supervisor, I immediately ran few more experiments and finish my report. Eventually, I made to submit my thesis for March period. It was the latest month if I wanted to graduate in May.

The scariest thing about thesis is the time to defense it. On March 23rd, in front of 3 professors (including my supervisor) I presented everything I’d been working on for the last 8 months. I tell you, it was the most terrible experience in my life, more than when my machine learning professor shouted on me during oral exam. I made mistakes. First, I didn’t prepare the simulation for the work I did. I didn’t know I had to do that and nobody reminded me about it (I regret it too). It made one of the professors doubted my work, like everything, although I’d written the whole process on the report. Second, I got emotional. I realized that several times I expressed my opinion in impolite intonation. But it was because I was accused of not writing, let’s say, a process in my method, while I’d written several paragraphs about it and I also explained it in the presentation. We were a kind of debating and in the end I gave up and calmed myself down. After all, thesis defense is the time when we “defend” our thesis right? I just did what I was supposed to do. I’m just bad at controlling emotion.

The next things happening are that we finished the question session and I had to go out while the professors are discussing, I cried while waiting, I was asked to come in and the congratulated me for “passing the thesis exam with revision”, I went out of the room with bitter smile, and my friends gave me some presents.

The next thing I realized was that then I’d had right to obtain the title of Bachelor of Computer Science…….if I finish the revisions.

Finally, Alhamdulillah. Graduation is coming soon 😊

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts