Are you Muslim?

I reread the letters my friends gave me before my departure. They mentioned the thing of always being on the right track on behalf of Muslim. Thanks for the prayers, friends.

Here, religion doesn't become a substantial thing in life. Since it's a sensitive issue, I don't even dare to ask some friends' religion unless they mention it a bit.

The case was open when a friend of mine started asking, "Do you always have to wear that thing?"
I, surprisedly, answered, "what?"
"That head cover." 
"Yes, I do. In front of men."
"Are you Muslim?"
"Yes, I am."

Now I'm living in a country that Muslim is minority. People don't really know about Muslim or Islam. Seeing me wearing hijab doesn't mean they are sure I'm Muslim. Most of them have no idea Muslim can't eat pork, drink alcohol, and of course praying and fasting thing.

"Have you ever questioned yourself why do you have to cover your head?"
There were three of us in the dining room when suddenly a friend of mine asked that question. I wanted to answer him but I was still thinking how to explained it to him (also due to my bad english huft) when the other one helped me answered, "because it's written in Quran," Then he glanced at me, "right?" "Exactly." The person who helped me answered the question is Christian. While the other one grew up in Hindu family but claimed to be not too religious. Then we were debating about things that religion command, how people were pushed to do it, and even the meaning of religion itself. "I do it because I love my God." That was the argument I kept holding.

Later, I found an ayat regarding this,
Say, [O Muhammad], "Do you argue with us about Allah while He is our Lord and your Lord? For us are our deeds, and for you are your deeds. And we are sincere [in deed and intention] to Him." (Q.S. Al-Baqarah: 139)
Until now, I still get some questions why I don't drink, why I wear hijab while their muslim friends don't, and even someone asked me whether I am strictly religious. I don't really know the meaning of "strictly" she meant because I think I am still way too far to be called religious compared to some people I know. Now, I realize I should have prepared answers to all of these things, not only a brief answer, but also a convincing argument and good explanation about what Muslim do so that the people, at least, have idea about it.

And, about this head cover, this is my identity and how my religion protects me from the wickedness I might get :)

Comments

Popular Posts